Safety After Seperation

Call 000 if you are unsafe.

If you call 000 and can't talk, the operator the call will be transferred to an interactive voice response (IVR). The IVR asks you to press '55' if you require emergency help. If you don't press '55' after being asked three times, your call will be disconnected. If you press '55', you will be connected to the police. If you cannot speak, the police will attempt to call you back and might also send a patrol car to your address.

Police will use the address for the service (which would usually be either your home or billing address). This means it is important to make sure that your telco has the most up-to-date address details for your phone services.

106 can only be used with a teletypewriter (TTY) or a device for the deaf. 106 is a text-based emergency service number for people who are deaf or who have a hearing or speech impairment

Important phone numbers

Trust your instinct if you think you are being monitored. Talk to the police. Information and support can be found on this website.

Before Leaving (drop down box)

If you have made contact with agencies such as Services Australia, Domestic Violence services, or legal help, ensure that the contact information you provide them is safe

  • Talk to family or friends you trust whose address you can use and who will keep your mail safe
  • Set up a PO Box that is not in the suburb or town in which you live

Keep your phone number private from such agencies if there is a chance your partner will answer the phone when they ring.

Be aware that anyone who has access to your phone can find out who you last called by pressing the redial button on your phone. If you call someone for legal advice, support etc., when you hang up:

  • Dial a safe number such as your children's school or work, or friend so that it will show up as the last number you used
  • Delete the numbers that you called


Keep petrol in the car, have a spare set of keys cut and hidden near the car or arrange transport in advance. Explore options such as cab charges, have public transport cards. Uber will send emails with the details of your trip.

Know where you are going.

Tell only one or two trusted friends or a refugee worker about your plans. Go through the details together.

Start a savings account. A small amount of money saved weekly can build up and be useful later.

Start collecting the papers and information you need. Make your own list:

Birth certificates, marriage certificates, copies of Domestic Violence Orders, custody papers, passports, any identification papers, driver's licenses, insurance policies, Work and Income documents, bank account details and statements, credit cards, immigration documentation, adoption papers, medical and legal records, etc., Passwords.

Take photos of documents and, passwords, bank accounts on a safe phone.

Ask your family doctor to note any evidence of injuries on your patient records carefully.

Documents for yourself and children.

All forms of identification

  • Drivers licence
  • Medicare
  • Passports
  • Birth certificates
  • Bank account details
  • Bills
  • Car registration
  • contracts
  • Marriage certificate
  • Copies of Domestic Violence Orders
  • Custody papers
  • Insurance policies
  • Work and Income documents
  • Cash cards
  • Immigration documentation
  • Adoption papers
  • Medical and legal records

Keys to house, garage, car, office

Clothing and other personal needs

Phone card and list of important addresses and phone numbers

For children, take essential school needs, favourite toy or comforter.

Photograph your partner for the police or people protecting you.

Playing it safe

Leave copies of documents, spare clothing and toiletries for yourself and your children, cash, spare keys, medication and other essential items with a trusted friend.

Try not to react to your partner in a way that might make him suspicious about your plans. Always be aware of your need for safety.

Tell children what they need to know only when they need it. Wait until plans are well advanced before talking to them. They don't need the stress of keeping a difficult secret.

Practical Issues around money

Ask to speak to family violence person within your bank as many banks now have this support.

Withdraw some money from the bank if there is a joint bank account. Leave enough money there to cover any outstanding bills you are aware of but take whatever else you need. It is important to do this as soon as possible before your partner has had a chance to empty the account or put a freeze on it, stopping you from accessing it. Take your name off all joint bank accounts and credit cards so that you will not be responsible if your partner runs up any debts.

If you have your own account, wait to use your key card until your mailing address at the back has been changed. Otherwise, your partner can find out where you are by reading your bank statements.

Arrange for your name to be taken off the lease, electricity, phone, and any other bills when you leave. Otherwise, you will be responsible for paying for these.